Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bean Balls

I hot glued each bean onto each ball.  It was hours and hours and hours, and I wouldn't recommend this project.  But hey, now I have something above my kitchen cupboards.


Thursday, January 28, 2010

Paper Covered Binder

I covered this 1 1/2" "Eco Binder" Using 5 coordinating 12"x12" peices of scrapbook paper. It is just the size to cover the front outside with one, the front inside with another, the back with two more, and then a 5" strip of the last peice to recover the binding.

But it became very wrinkly (unlike the clipboards or puzzles) and I ran it so close and rubbed too hard and so it was a lot of work and didn't turn out great.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Lavendar Soaps

I got the lavendar for free by cutting it off in bundles from the bush outside, and let it hang dry for about a month. Then I just melted the glycerin, added purple soap coloring and lavendar.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Picture Puzzles

Get an 8"x10" photo print of your favorite picture (don't use an inkjet or the colors will die). Modge podge it onto an 8"x10" peice of wood. I used the thinnest I could find. Cut a border off the outside, and glue the border onto another 8"x10" peice of wood. Then cut the rest into peices.

I haven't tried this, but I suppose you could make puzzles by using this method to get the picture on the wood. It looks really cool.

Stretchy Dress

I also made this over Christmas.  It is flattering to my normal figure as well as will never stop fitting.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Black Apple Doll

I watched a video about how to make the Black Apple Doll from here and made them with women from church.  I made kits (thirty) that had the arms and legs and heads ready, then they sewed, turned and stuffed the dolls and put the faces on.  Here are the results (top one is mine):


Thursday, January 21, 2010

Socks and a Beanie

Knitted Socks

This sock pattern is Bluebells from "Booties, Booties, Booties."  I used sock yarn, which is weight -1- and a size 3 set of knitting needles.  But it turned out too small so hopefully it will fit for the first week or two.  I'm going to make another set of socks that are much larger.

Crocheted Beanie

I made up this pattern for a crochet-thread beanie.  I'm going to line the inside rim with something soft.  The bottom rim is a puff stitch.  It's still not long enough but I ran out of thread.  This is 18" round, which according to growth charts should fit in the 9-12 month range.

Crocheted Edge Burp Clothes

This is a "double post stich" meaning you do a double crochet, then do it in the previous stitch, then go foreward 2 stiches to start again.  I realized that there is a difference in crochet threads.  Next one I'm going to use the heavier brown like the beanie.

Monday, January 18, 2010

A Couple of Baby Projects

Here are a couple of things I made over Christmas in preparation for The Kid to come.  Since we don't have a name, we just call him The Kid.  I'm told we're not going to put that on the birth certificate.

Diaper Bag from Simplicity 2924 (it's a good pattern for all those things).

Boppy Pillow: Made up myself by using a belt for the inside and about 9" wide all the way around.

Mittens from some not-so-good pattern and a motif I made up.

Hobo Bag

Made from tutorial here out of Amy Butler fabric.  Next time I will buy more sturdy metal rings.  I LOVE the zipper technique but next time I would do something different for the bottom stiffness.  It kinda messed up my bag.